Reporting to the Executive Director, the Head of Communications & Development will devise and implement a strategy for all communications (marketing collateral, website, social networking, newsletter, media and public relations, individual donors, corporate supporters, public funding bodies and others) in order to consistently articulate Irish National Opera’s brand and mission and to generate income from various sources, including earned income/box office sales.
The Head of Communications & Development will work closely with the Executive Director and the Artistic Director and will supervise a small team within the department (initially a Marketing Manager and a Development Manager).
- Develop, implement and evaluate a communication plan across all of the company’s external communications.
- Build, develop and implement strategies to increase brand awareness and to maximise audiences.
- Develop and implement a robust digital strategy for the company.
- Identify and exploit opportunities available through digital platforms.
- Devise and implement strategies to engage existing opera audiences.
- Devise and implement strategies to develop and grow new opera audiences from diverse backgrounds, to re-engage former opera audiences and to expand audience demographics, with a particular emphasis on young people.
- Oversee the generation and distribution of print/online/other content in partnership with the Marketing Manager
- In co-operation with Executive Director and Marketing Manager, devise, lead and deliver a range of marketing and advertising campaigns with distinct and diverse outcomes targeting existing and new audiences with the aim of generating box office sales.
- Manage all media contacts and devise and implement PR campaigns with a primary focus on Irish media, but also including international press.
- Design and implement a “friends’ scheme” tailored to the company’s needs and profile.
- Develop and implement a plan to identify and secure a wide portfolio of individual donors.
- Develop and implement a plan to identify and secure corporate support from a variety of sources.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, secure funding from other sources including the broadcast sector, trusts, foundations and the public sector.
Experience and Skills
The minimum requirements for the role are:
- Minimum 5 years substantial and directly relevant experience.
- Degree or relevant higher qualification in a relevant discipline.
- Strong computer and ICT skills.
- Impeccable written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience of developing and managing marketing & PR campaigns.
- Experience in elaborating digital strategies.
- Deep understanding of brand development.
- Proven track record in fundraising and managing corporate relationships.
- Proven track record and demonstrated capacity to balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated passion for and understanding of the arts / opera
- Winning communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Creative thinking and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to manage and motivate staff.
- Stakeholder focus; ability to manage and sustain relationships with funders, sponsors and partners.
- Personal accountability; high level of integrity, ability to work under pressure.
- Self-starter with ability to work collaboratively with teams.
Application deadline – 2nd March 2018
To apply you must include your cover letter and CV.
Further details on the role will be made available at the time of application.