ABOUT THE ARK
Founded in 1995, the Ark is a dedicated cultural centre for children born of a deeply-held belief in
children’s right to art and culture as equal citizens within our society. Our mission is to create
opportunities for children to love and discover art as a fundamental part of their childhood, no matter
what their background or gender. Based in our architecturally award-winning home in the heart of
Dublin’s Temple Bar, we commission, produce and present work for, by and about children, from the
ages of two to twelve years old. On an annual basis, up to 30,000 attend programmes at The Ark,
including professional development training for teachers and artists.
Through our work with leading Irish and international artists children can enjoy performances in our
unique child-sized theatre, view engaging exhibitions or participate in creative workshops. We also
curate specific professional development opportunities for teachers and artists. We work in
partnership with others as artistic collaborators and regularly share our resources and knowledge with
artists, educators and all those interested in child-centred arts practice. We also work with other likeminded
organisations to advance children’s rights to art and culture as part of their learning and
The Ark is primarily funded by The Arts Council and the Department of Education and Skills as well as
Dublin City Council. In 2018, The Ark became a partner in two European Cultural Projects, The Big
Bang, and PUSH+. In 2018 The Ark is also the recipient of awards from The Department of Children
and Youth Affairs, The Department of Justice Integration Fund, The Community Foundation, UNESCO
and Science Foundation Ireland. The Ark Access for Schools programme is funded through corporate
support and The Ark Opportunities Fund is supported by individual donors.
The Ark Strategy: 2017-2020 identifies four clear areas of strategic priority for The Ark over the next
four years, namely: excellence, engagement, sustainability and advocacy. (More details on the
The Ark wishes to recruit a Marketing Manager to join its senior management team and provide strong
leadership and management across all marketing and audience development activities for the
organisation, creating and executing a cohesive marketing and communications strategy.
Reports to the General Manager.
Key Relationships: Director, Creative Arts Manager, Development & Advocacy Manager and Visitor
Services Team. This role will also manage key external relationships with The Ark’s publicist, and
Marketing & Communication
• To strategically direct all internal and external [national & international] programmatic and
institutional communications and execution of marketing activities.
• To create short, medium and long-term marketing and communications strategies.
• To create and execute innovative, effective and targeted tactical marketing campaigns for all
programmes and events.
• To plan, create and manage the budget for all on- and off-line advertising including AdWords,
Google Display, other Display networks, Facebook Advertising, IPA, transport, broadcast, as
• To write and sign off copy for all marketing materials [flyers, posters, website content, press
releases, newsletters, blogs etc.]
• To develop and execute online strategies that include website development, social media and
on-line content & resources.
• To create and execute innovative and engaging social media content across all relevant
platforms, key current platforms include Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram,
to maximise effectiveness and to grow our online reach.
• To coordinate the Communications Team meetings (made up of the General Manager, Visitor
Services Coordinator, with input from the Director and Development & Advocacy Manager as
required) and ensure actions are carried out within the identified timeline.
• To create and implement a new strategic audience development plan.
• To conduct appropriate market research and gather feedback for the organisations work.
• To constantly explore, recommend, use and optimise communication methods, channels and
technologies to engage with various audiences [general public, schools, stakeholders, sectors]
• To prepare communications reports and analysis for internal distribution and support the
preparation of the annual Arts Council application as well as other fundraising applications and
• To manage all distribution of information including, but not limited to e-zines, mailings,
distribution, news items, invitations and stakeholder communications.
Administration & Budget Management
• To manage and conduct all marketing related administrative duties including creating and
maintaining the annual marketing budget.
• Administering and enforcing The Ark’s photography policy, ensuring correct consent is given for
any images captured and used.
• To maintain all customer databases and communications in line with The Ark’s data protection
policy and privacy statement.
• To develop and maintain branding and visual identity guidelines
• To direct the development of creative content and design work for various online and offline
platforms, in line with The Ark’s design strategy and brand guidelines.
Press & PR
• To support the PR activities carried out by our external publicist.
• To seek media sponsorship and new promotional partnerships, liaising with the Development
& Advocacy Manager.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate strong examples from their past experience
highlighting that they have both the energy and enthusiasm for this role.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Proven ability to implement successful marketing and communications strategies.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a significant marketing role.
• Marketing qualifications or a proven track record in the area.
• Excellent on-line communications knowledge and experience across website content
management, SEO, email clients (Mailchimp or similar) social media and other relevant online
systems and platforms.
• Experience and understanding of budget planning and management.
• An understanding and working knowledge of the arts, education & culture sectors.
• Ability to think strategically and translate into effective action plans.
• Strong written, editorial and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent it skills, with a high level of proficiency in MS Office essential. Experience with design
or video and photo editing software would be an advantage.
• Positive, energetic and committed to the ethos, values and ambition of The Ark.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritise competing demands and meet deadlines.
• Approachable, a good communicator who credibly represents their role internally and
• Someone who takes ownership and responsibility and works well in a small team.
The role is based at The Ark’s venue in Dublin. This is initially a 2-year fixed term appointment with a 6-
month probationary period. There is a holiday entitlement of 20 days per annum, in addition to public
holidays. There are also 5 company holidays allocated on Good Friday and over the Christmas period.
Garda (police) vetting is a requirement of the appointment process.
Commensurate with skills and experience.
Interested candidates are invited to apply by completing / providing the following items:
1. A CV highlighting your relevant experience for this role.
2. A covering letter outlining your experience and reason for applying for the role.
3. A short summary (max 500 words) outlining a marketing or communications campaign that you have
delivered and are particularly proud of.
Please send your application by email only to [email protected] The closing date for applications is Wednesday 7 November 2018 at 12pm. Late applications will not be accepted.
Please note that successful candidates will be required to provide proof of identity and complete our Garda
Interview Dates and Selection methods
• Initial short-listing of candidates will be on the basis of the information contained in their CV and
• Candidates who are short-listed will be invited to attend for interview to be held on 13 November at
The Ark, 11a Eustace Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2.
• In line with our data protection policy, we will only use the information that you provide for the
purposes of this recruitment process. On completion of the process, your information will be
securely retained for a maximum of 6 months before being erased.