The Jack & Jill Children’s Foundation is seeking a champion communicator and influencer to appoint as the charity’s Advocacy and Communications Manager. This is a job with a real sense of purpose and action driven communications.
Jack & Jill provides home nursing care for 350 children with severe physical and neurological developmental delay, giving essential respite and support to their families nationwide. The charity also provides end of life care to children up to 5 years of age who are going home to die, regardless of their named or unnamed medical condition.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Advocacy and Communications Manager is part of the senior management team, charged with achieving the goals set out in the charity’s Strategic Plan. They are supported by the Digital Communications Coordinator. You will join a team of dedicated, driven self-starters who really believe in what they do. You will be expected to maintain and build upon the household brand recognition that Jack & Jill currently enjoys in Ireland, and to make significant headway in transforming brand recognition into a deeper understanding of exactly what the Foundation does and building longer term, two-way communications with donors and supporters. This means building the charity’s reputation, promoting our corporate partnerships, campaigns and events, as well as spearheading our advocacy work on behalf of the children and families we support.
The successful candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience working at a strategic level in the areas of PR/communications and be able to demonstrate high performance and achievement of goals, working in an integrated way with colleagues, partners and external stakeholders.
They will have excellent organisational, communications and interpersonal skills and be dependable, flexible and driven working alongside our Digital Communications Coordinator. The role plays a significant part in advising and supporting the entire Jack & Jill team, including fundraising and finance and those involved in nursing/service provision on issues related to policy, research and evaluation in their areas of work.
The candidate will shape and drive Jack & Jill’s reputation in the public arena through traditional, digital and social media, monitoring relevant debates and developments and interface with the media. The role is perfect for someone who is passionate about and incentivised by the possibility of making a real difference to the lives of Jack & Jill families.
- At least 5 years’ experience of PR / communications at a strategic level.
- Excellent communications (verbal, writing, editing) and presentation skills.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Proven ability to plan and develop campaigns, programmes and initiatives.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team in pursuit of common goals, as well as to work independently.
- Management experience contributing to the policies and priorities of the organisation.
- Develop and deliver on communications and advocacy goals within the strategic plan including monitoring and evaluating results.
- Specifically, devise and implement an annual PR and social media plan for the Foundation, encompassing service, advocacy, corporate communications and fundraising.
- Ensure consistency and understanding of Jack & Jill’s key messages and presence in the public and political arena.
- Organise and manage press events, including photo-calls and launches.
- Prepare articles, press releases, briefings and other materials on relevant matters.
- Gather, document and utilise stories of those receiving support from Jack & Jill, as well as those involved in delivering the service and raising funds on our behalf.
- Be a spokesperson and ambassador for the charity, as well as delivering media training for other spokespeople for Jack & Jill.
- Design, co-ordinate and deliver promotional campaigns (paid and unpaid advertising, PR and online/social media) for fundraising initiatives.
- Direct and deliver Jack & Jill’s communications with its supporters, families under its wing, nurses, carers, corporate partners etc.
- Issues and crisis training/management.
Education and Knowledge
- Degree or equivalent academic qualification, ideally communications, marketing or PR based.
- Proven-track record in media relations, including influence, trends and development of social media.
- Keen interest in government, politics and current affairs as it relates to the health and charity sector.
- Experience of developing and implementing successful advocacy campaigns is desirable.
- While a knowledge of children’s health care issues and experience working with families, policy makers and health care professionals would be desirable, a willingness to engage with and tell our families’ stories is essential.
This is a full-time position based in Johnstown (Naas), Co. Kildare. At times, it will require working outside of office hours. Please submit a CV and letter of application outlining your suitability and salary expectations for the position to [email protected] before 5pm on Friday 21st June. Interviews will be held on 27th and 28th June.