Assistant Production Manager Traineeship with Fishamble & Eoin Kilkenny
JOB TITLE: Assistant Production Manager
REPORTING TO: Eoin Kilkenny, Production Manager; Eva Scanlan, Executive Director
CONTRACT: Short-term, flexible contract, 5 September – 7 November 2022
- Part-time from 5 September (monitoring emails, attending meetings)
- Full-time from 26 September to 7 November (tech and national tour)
- Dates are flexible and open to discussion.
FEE PAID: €3,500 plus touring expenses (travel, accommodation, per diems) covered.
LOCATION: Rehearsals and technical rehearsals in Dublin; tour dates across Ireland.
ABOUT FISHAMBLE: THE NEW PLAY COMPANY:
Fishamble was founded in 1988 and, since 1990, has been dedicated to the discovery, development, and production of new plays of national importance with a global reach. It typically employs over 200 artists each year through its programme of work, and has toured its productions to audiences throughout Ireland, and to 19 other countries. Fishamble has received many awards in Ireland and internationally, including an Olivier Award. It champions the role of the playwright, typically supporting over 50% of the writers of all new plays produced on the island of Ireland each year.
The aim of Fishamble and Eoin Kilkenny’s pilot trainee programme for Assistant Production Managers is for the successful candidate to complete the programme with a good understanding of how to organise the different elements of a professional theatre production, along with some guidance and contacts to help pursue a further role in production management. This is a practical position and will involve some physical activity.
Fishamble is committed to this role being a paid, productive training and employment opportunity for the benefit of the successful candidate.
This traineeship will have two strands: practical work and direct mentorship
The Assistant Production Manager will be on site through rehearsals, fit-up, technical rehearsals, and tour dates for Fishamble’s world premiere production and Irish tour of Heaven by Eugene O’Brien. Responsibilities will include working on budgets, health and safety, assisting with the safe and efficient get-ins and get-outs on a multi-venue tour across major venues in Ireland, as well as pre-production for a New York transfer.
The successful candidate will assist the Production Manager in all aspects of the production management process including:
- Overseeing and realising technical elements of the show, i.e. the scenery, props, costume, lighting, and sound;
- Crew recruitment, dealing with local crew and venue technical managers;
- Preparing tour documents;
- Reading rehearsal and show reports, and liaising with the Production Manager and other personnel to respond;
- Working with the play’s director and creative team through the design process to achieve their goals and replicating the design on tour in a variety of locations;
- Any other duties which are deemed reasonable and appropriate, as assigned by the Production Manager.
Other possible requirements of the role are:
- Attending meetings with the Production Manager and creative team;
- Researching materials or products for hire or purchase;
- Observing rehearsals, if appropriate;
- Contributing to the creation of safety documentation with guidance and instruction from the Production Manager.
ONGOING, DIRECT MENTORSHIP:
Ongoing mentorship by Fishamble’s Production Manager Eoin Kilkenny including:
- Minimum one hour per week dedicated mentorship time divided up by interest area;
- 3-4 guided meetings with other relevant industry professionals to contribute to the candidate’s knowledge and skills through the mentorship.
This mentorship and any additional meetings will take place during the traineeship period.
The selected candidate should have:
- A proven interest in theatre, and an aspiration to becoming a professional production manager in the long term;
- Some previous interaction and familiarity with technical elements of the arts, such as lighting, sound, AV, or stage management;
- The ability to work well under pressure, with good time management skills, and the ability to manage and prioritise competing tasks;
- Good attention to detail, self-motivated, with the ability to take the initiative on tasks where required;
- Good communication skills with the ability to follow instructions and ask for direction when required;
- A dynamic and committed approach to theatre;
- A keen interest in learning new skills and ways of working;
- An understanding of and appreciation for Health and Safety practices;
- Strong level of fluency with written and spoken English;
- Intermediate level of experience working with Microsoft Word and Excel;
- The right to work in Ireland, either as a citizen of the EEA (EU Member State, Iceland, Norway, or Lichtenstein), Switzerland or the UK, or through an appropriate visa or work permit;
- Be over 18 years of age on the date of application.
Fishamble: The New Play Company is committed to actively fostering an environment that respects the unique characteristics, skills and experiences of all employees, artists and audiences. We aim to foster a work environment where difference is valued and where equality, diversity, and inclusion are embedded in our actions, our structure and our culture.
Fishamble is an equal opportunities employer, and actively encourages applications from all sections of the community.
For more information on Fishamble, visit www.fishamble.com
Applicants are invited to submit:
- A detailed and up-to-date CV outlining relevant experience;
- A letter of application, indicating your interest in this position;
- Contact details for two professional references.
Submissions & Deadline:
Applications will be accepted by email only and should be submitted to [email protected] with ‘Assistant Production Manager’ in the subject line. The closing date for receipt of all applications is 5pm on Friday 15 July 2022.
Interviews will be held in person (in Dublin) or via Zoom, in the week of Monday 25 July 2022.