BACKGROUND TO THE GATE THEATRE
The Gate Theatre was founded in 1928 by Hilton Edwards and Micheál MacLiammóir. Their productions were innovative and experimental and they offered Dublin audiences an introduction to the world of European and American theatre as well as classics from the modern and Irish repertoire.
Theatre can lead to extraordinary moments of shared imagination. It enables us to stand in another’s shoes to better understand ourselves, and the world around us. It shows us who we are, who we have been, who we could be. From its earliest forms of storytelling around the campfire, theatre has sought to reach people, to teach people, to communicate ideas – and to promote change. The Gate’s mission is to be an International home for Irish artists and an Irish home for International artists. On its stage in Dublin and through tours, partnerships and creative collaborations, there is a commitment is to ‘open the Gate’ to new artists, audiences and new forms of theatre. The Gate’s aim is to share this work with a large, diverse and evolving audience both in Ireland and around the world.
As an artist-led organisation the ‘work’ is at the heart of everything the Gate does. It produces a broad programme of new, contemporary and classic work, all of which speaks to today’s world.
The theme of the Gate’s current season is Love and Courage, and this theme emulates its aim to delve into Ireland’s deep and world-renowned cultural legacy to establish a global world-class theatrical powerhouse. As the world continues to experience seismic economic, societal, political and cultural shifts, the 21st century has brought incredible change to our lives through technology and globalisation. However, theatre remains the backbone of society’s culture, and none more so than Dublin, where Ireland’s literary and creative output is world-renowned. Housed in the awakening Cultural Quarter, the Gate must now navigate decisively to open a new chapter, and deliver on the global stage.
Principles of the Gate’s Vision:
- An Irish home for International artists and an International home for Irish artists - a network of international partnerships and collaborations - a creative leader on the world stage.
- A global world-class theatrical powerhouse producing annually, a year-long programme of original work, attracting a diverse and broad audience.
- A space for the world’s greatest artists to meet, collaborate and exchange ideas through local, national and International encounters both on and off-stage.
- To launch the next generation of artists on the world stage and to nurture these artists through mentoring and development, producing their work both at the Gate and internationally.
ROLE DESCRIPTION & APPLICATION INFORMATION
Role title: Company Manager
Reporting to: Executive Producer
Direct reports: Stage Management Team
Location: Dublin 1, Ireland
Contract: Permanent, Full-time
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This full-time position will lead the Gate Stage Management and Acting Company to the highest artistic standards and to drive the rehearsal and performance process to deliver productions of world class excellence.
- To recruit, line manage and lead the Gate Stage Management (SM team) team strategically, operationally and artistically.
- To source and hire prop makers as necessary.
- To plan and lead all rehearsals ensuring they run in a smooth and efficient manner.
- To attend all production meetings, technical rehearsals and previews for all Gate productions.
- To ensure effective communication at all times with the Gate Theatre’s departments to ensure any relevant production information is accurately and comprehensively communicated to them through the SM team in a timely manner.
- To maintain good working relationship with the Acting, SM and Technical Company Members looking after their welfare for every production ensuring the Gate’s Dignity At Work Policy is fully adhered to.
- To work with the Production Manager to control the running of all performances, ensuring that the agreed and established artistic and technical standards for such productions are maintained at all times.
- Work closely with the Executive Producer and Production Manager to ensure financial control is maintained on any Stage Management related production spend.
- To ensure that the Stage Management team return all borrowed and hired props at the end of the run and keep an accurate log of all properties in the production and file accurate final running and setting lists.
- To be the liaison point for the Gate Company on tour.
- Either personally, or in liaison with a touring Stage Manager, line manage all staff on tour.
- Book and manage all travel and accommodation in Dublin and on tour for the Gate performing and technical company.
- To file a weekly Touring Company Manager's report.
- To produce payment schedules ahead of the start of the rehearsals for all wages, per diems and travel payments. To keep this schedule up to date and forward to the finance department when relevant.
- To provide timesheets for all acting company and stage management after overtime has been accrued in line with the Gate’s agreement with Irish equity forwarding them to the Financial Controller in a timely manner.
- To prepare and file all petty cash receipts, complete purchase orders for all purchases made outside of petty cash and to follow all of the Gate’s financial control procedures.
- Adhere to the Gate Theatre's health and safety policy according to current legislation.
- To liaise with the Director, Executive Producer, Director / CEO to resolve any artistic problems, which may arise during the run of a production.
- To co-ordinate with the Gate’s Publicist and Director of Marketing and Communications on any press calls, interviews or other activities that involve the Creative Company in terms of diaries and timekeeping.
- To liaise with all visiting companies over allocation of stage management provision.
- To undertake training deemed necessary by your line manager.
- Act as an Ambassador for the Gate Theatre at functions, opening nights and other networking opportunities.
- Any other reasonable task as assigned by your line manager.
- Line management of Stage Management and act as Artists liaison for all productions
This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required of the Company Manager, it is not an exhaustive list of duties and your line manager may, at any time, allocate other tasks which are of a similar nature or level.
Essential Experience, Qualities and Skills
The post holder will have:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a senior Stage Management role.
- An in-depth knowledge of the Stage Management process.
- Proven track record in leading a Stage Management team in situ and on tour.
- Prior experience leading a Performance Management System (Desirable).
- Excellent budgetary and IT skills with a working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel. Previous experience in AutoCAD is desirable.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with theatre production processes.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure while delivering to a high standard.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should email their CV, Cover Letter and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form: https://www.gatetheatre.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Gate-Theatre-Equal-Opportunities-Monitoring-Form.pdf to [email protected] by 18.00pm Thursday 23rd of January 2020.