ABBEY THEATRE Amharclann na Mainistreach | Job Description
JOB TITLE: Company Stage Manager
RESPONSIBLE TO: Company Manager
CONTRACT: Full time permanent contract – 42h Monday to Saturday
“to bring upon the stage the deeper emotions of Ireland”.
The Abbey Theatre is Ireland’s National Theatre, and a significant part of its role is to reflect our evolving cultural, political and social identity. We do this through the creation, development and production of theatre that seeks to interrogate, challenge, gather and inspire a nation and its people, locally, nationally and internationally. We’ve held this inimitable place in the Irish cultural landscape for over 116 years, since before the formation of the Irish state.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Record and monitor hours worked by all performers and the SM Team and input payroll information for the time management system (TMS) or to communicate this information to the Company Manager on a timely manner when unable to access the TMS system.
- Be the main point of contact between the cast and the Abbey in conjunction with the Company Manager.
- Communicate effectively to the Producers regarding to their nominated productions.
- Responsibility for running the rehearsals for the production, endeavouring that everything is in place as scheduled and that all rehearsals keep within allotted times.
- In consultation with the Props Department and the ASM, ensure that rehearsal props and furniture are provided until actual items are sourced/made and provided.
- Undertake/supervise scene changes as required.
- Be responsible for the creation and distribution of production information to all relevant teams associated with the production.
- Supervise the rehearsal mark-up if necessary.
- Fully participate in and schedule staff for any additional events, talks & development work during the run of the show, as required.
- Ensure the playing space is prepared for technical rehearsals.
- Run the technical rehearsals keeping all departments updated about changes to the schedule day to day through previews and until opening performance.
- Ensure that high production values are maintained on all productions throughout the run whether in the Abbey or on tour.
Health and Safety
- Adhere to the theatre's Health and Safety policy and to current legislation.
- Contribute to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the full company.
- Ensure that there is adequate first aid provision throughout the production process.
- Ensure that all performers are informed of any changes in the playing space which may alter their performances, or which may introduce any potential health and safety risks.
- Form effective and creative working relationships with Directors, Producers, Designers and other Creative team members and internal stakeholders to achieve the full vision and potential of each production.
- Keep the Company Manager informed of any concerns from the cast.
- Liaise with Press Department to coordinate interviews and photo calls during show rehearsal and technical periods.
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the creative team and all theatre departments.
- Maintain office, rehearsal rooms, and any other working areas to a satisfactory standard.
- Attend all meetings as required.
- Record all show expenditure and deliver financial reports to the Production Manager for each show.
- Any other duties that are deemed reasonable and appropriate by the Company Manager
The post holder will have:
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in a similar Stage Management role.
- An in-depth knowledge of the Stage Management process.
- Experience leading a team/teams.
- A full clean driving licence is desirable.
- Excellent IT skills with a working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel. An ability to read technical drawings is advantageous
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with theatre production processes.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure while delivering to a high standard.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Post: This is a Full-time permanent role with a 6-month notice period
- Salary: Competitive
- Annual Leave: 30 days per annum (including Good Friday & Christmas Eve) pro rata
- Public Holidays: 10 Public holidays per annum.
- Pension/PRSA: The Abbey Theatre provides employees with access to a pension/prsa scheme and will match contributions up to 5.5% of salary. Employees must contribute a minimum of 3% to avail of employer contributions. Contributions are made through payroll.
- Life Assurance: The Abbey Theatre Group Life Assurance plan provides a benefit to all employees of 4 times annual salary in the event of death while in service.
- Bike to work/ Bus Eireann/Luas/ Dart Tax Saver
- Employee Assistance Programme: Confidential service for all employees and their family.
- Staff Complimentary Tickets: 1 or 2 complimentary tickets for each show at the Abbey / staff discount for friends and family
To apply, please send the below information:
- Up to date CV
- Cover letter
(Outlining why you want this post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute)
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Tuesday, 17th May 2022
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer