Contractual hours: 30 hours per week over 4 days per week
The Course Leader: BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music will be a highly experienced, dynamic practitioner with a strong background in music education. While leading the School’s BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music (validated by the Technological University Dublin) course, you will be required to work closely with all departments within BIMM and will report directly to the Head of Education and/or Deputy Head of Education.
The Course Leader is responsible for the day-to-day operational management of BA Commercial Modern Music course (approx. 600 students across 4 years) leading on curriculum delivery, curriculum design and teaching and learning. You will work closely with the Head of Education and the Heads of Department to ensure that the BIMM Institute Dublin Ethos and Education Strategy are implemented consistently and effectively across the four-year course. The Course Leader must have a strong background as a practitioner and educator and have the breadth of skills and experience required to ensure quality and excellence in all aspects of the course performance.
The post of Course Leader: BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music is a combined strategic and operational role that provides curriculum leadership for all students and staff involved with this course. The Course Leader will have the primary responsibility for setting the standard of excellence and professionalism in teaching on this course and is responsible for and ensuring that all members of the team support students in all aspects of their personal and professional development.
The Course Leader will be required to monitor the day-to-day experience of students in the studio/classroom ensuring the highest quality of teaching and learning at all times. This includes: the selection, supervision and mentoring of sessional staff; design and delivery of the curriculum; working closely with the Head of Education and the Curriculum Team; generation of lesson plans; oversight of the Canvas VLE platform; delivery of tutorials; and maintenance of all student and staff records in line with BIMM Institute group policy.
• More than two years’ experience of teaching in Higher Education with proven and relevant subject expertise
• An appropriate postgraduate teaching qualification or recognised status (e.g. PGCert, PGCE or HEA Fellowship)
• A commitment to and expectation of the highest standards from staff and students for whom you are responsible.
• Authority and presence as a teacher and leader and ability to lead, develop and co-ordinate a team
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills and the confidence and authority to be a spokesperson and ambassador for BIMM
• Experience of co-ordinating and leading academic and administrative staff
• Experience in third level course design, development and delivery
• A level of experience teaching at postgraduate level
Programme Leadership and Development
• Providing specific academic leadership for the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music Course and assisting the Head of Education and Heads of Departments as appropriate in the development, delivery, review and enhancement of the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music curriculum
• Advising the Head of Education on all issues pertaining to the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course
• Overseeing the production and review of all course materials for the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course
• Overseeing the examination and assessment programme for the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course ensuring the timely production of the assessment and examination timetable and working closely with the Student Services team to ensure that all student assessment are double marked and/or moderated in accordance with BIMM group and education partners requirements
Quality and Standards in Learning and Teaching
• Contributing to the College’s annual quality assurance cycle of module and course reviews, in particular drafting the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music annual course reviews for the approval of the College Principal, liaising with the Head of Education
• Ensuring the effective and timely implementation of the annual quality enhancement action plan for the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course, liaising with the Head of Education
Teaching and Learning
• Teaching and assessing modules/units on BIMM’s courses as agreed with the Head of Education
• Moderation and second marking of assessments as agreed with the Head of Education
• Membership of, and attendance at, examination and assessment boards as required by the College Principal, Head of Education and the College’s validating partners.
Tutor Leadership and Development
• Advising the Head of Education on all staffing issues pertaining to the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course and assisting the Head of Education and the Academic Administration team in the production of the teaching timetable
• Recommending new lecturers for the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course for the approval of the College Principal and Head of Education
• Ensuring that all new tutors undergo a thorough induction into BIMM and BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course
• Supporting the Head of Education in developing and leading an annual lecturer development training
• Leading on the academic elements of student induction events for the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course liaising closely with the Head of Student Services
• Acting as the first academic point of contact BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course to students and advising students on all course related matters
• Supporting the Head of Education and the Head of Student Services in the delivery of the College’s Tutorial System
External Events and Advocacy
• Representing the School as required at external events as agreed by the College Principal and/or Head of Education
• Representing the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course at BIMM Dublin Open Days as required and agreed with the College Principal
NB: This is not a complete statement of all duties and responsibilities of this post. BIMM Course Leader duties and responsibilities subject to frequent updating to reflect developments within the sector. The Course Leader: BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music may be required to carry out other duties in keeping with the nature of the post as directed and agreed by the Principal.