ROLE DESCRIPTION & APPLICATION INFORMATION
Role title: General Manager
Reporting to: Director / CEO and Executive Producer
Direct reports: Front of House Manager; Bar Manager; Office Administrator; Housekeeping and maintenance personnel; Box Office Manager (operational)
Location: Dublin 1, Ireland
Contract: Permanent, Full-time
BACKGROUND TO THE GATE THEATRE
The Gate Theatre was founded in 1928 by Hilton Edwards and Micheál MacLiammóir. Their productions were innovative and experimental and they offered Dublin audiences an introduction to the world of European and American theatre as well as classics from the modern and Irish repertoire.
Theatre can lead to extraordinary moments of shared imagination. It enables us to stand in another’s shoes to better understand ourselves, and the world around us. It shows us who we are, who we have been, who we could be. From its earliest forms of storytelling around the campfire, theatre has sought to reach people, to teach people, to communicate ideas – and to promote change. The Gate’s mission is to be an International home for Irish artists and an Irish home for international artists. On its stage in Dublin and through tours, partnerships and creative collaborations, there is a commitment is to ‘open the Gate’ to new artists, audiences and new forms of theatre. The Gate’s aim is to share this work with a large, diverse and evolving audience both in Ireland and around the world.
As an artist-led organisation the ‘work’ is at the heart of everything the Gate does. It produces a broad programme of new, contemporary and classic work, all of which speaks to today’s world.
The theme of the Gate’s current season is Love and Courage, and this theme emulates its aim to delve into Ireland’s deep and world-renowned cultural legacy to establish a global world-class theatrical powerhouse. As the world continues to experience seismic economic, societal, political and cultural shifts, the 21st century has brought incredible change to our lives through technology and globalisation. However, theatre remains the backbone of society’s culture, and none more so than Dublin, where Ireland’s literary and creative output is world-renowned. Housed in the awakening Cultural Quarter, the Gate must now navigate decisively to open a new chapter, and deliver on the global stage.
Principles of the Gate’s Vision:
- An Irish home for international artists and an international home for Irish artists - a network of international partnerships and collaborations - a creative leader on the world stage.
- A global world-class theatrical powerhouse producing annually, a year-long programme of original work, attracting a diverse and broad audience.
- A space for the world’s greatest artists to meet, collaborate and exchange ideas through local, national and International encounters both on and off-stage.
- To launch the next generation of artists on the world stage and to nurture these artists through mentoring and development, producing their work both at the Gate and internationally.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The General Manager has overall responsibility for effective operational management and development of the Theatre’s staff, buildings and assets. As part of the Senior Management team the post holder will play a key leadership role in the Theatre, with a focus on maximising revenue generation through operational delivery of a welcoming and positive theatre environment and culture for artists, audiences and staff. The General Manager will also be responsible for managing the theatre’s plans for a capital development project to take place over the coming years, taking responsibility for the capital development budget and timeline, and co-ordinating external contractors and the Gate Theatre’s internal team to deliver the Director / CEO’s vision for the project.
Theatre and Assets Management:
- Oversee the effective management of the operation of the theatre building and its staff.
- Oversee the effective management of the bars and retail operation, ensuring accurate income and expenditure budgets are set, accurate accounting is maintained, and profit and income targets are met.
- Oversee the effective operational management of the box office service, ensuring accurate targets are set, reporting is delivered and accounts are maintained.
- Ensure that strategic plans are in place to support the maintenance, protection and development of the Gate’s assets and buildings.
- Ensure and co-ordinate the effective management of any capital development of the Gate’s assets.
- Ensure the Gate’s buildings, and facilities within them operate effectively, efficiently and safely at all times, acting as the lead for health and safety, licencing and regulation.
- Be responsible for setting the strategy for theatre’s capital development plans and investment with the Director / CEO, Executive Producer and Development Manager, and ensure effective execution of the same.
- Recruit and manage theatre operations staff to deliver an exceptional customer experience.
- Work with the Development Manager to support all events in the Theatre.
- Work with the Development Manager to source, develop and nurture key funding local and national partner relationships.
- Maintain effective rent, review and lease agreements for building, licensing bars, lease agreements and insurance.
- Ensure effective Health & Safety strategy and execution of same in line with good practice and requirements of legislation.
- Oversee all ICT, including CRM database and development, and maintenance of all of the Gate’s digital offering, including its website operationally.
- Oversee any trading subsidiaries of the Gate.
- Work closely with the Director / CEO and Executive Producer to deliver a world class theatre experience for Artists and Audiences.
- Work with the Director / CEO, HR Consultant and Executive Producer to set the HR strategy and relevant policies to support the Gate’s positive culture, and ensure effective implementation through recruitment, development and remuneration.
- Ensure a positive, engaged and inclusive culture across the Theatre
- In collaboration with the HR Consultant be the key HR contact for Gate staff. This includes being responsible for their recruitment, engagement, employment and development across the organisation.
- Ensure effective internal communications.
- Take responsibility for adhering to and implementing new employee legislation.
- Manage annual staff appraisals and associated administration
- Oversee the creation and implementation of all organisational guidelines, procedures and policies, including equal opportunities, diversity and respect at work policies.
- Line manage: Front of House Manager; Bar Manager; Office Administrator; Housekeeping and maintenance personnel; Box Office Manager (operational).
Capital Development Project:
- Support the Director / CEO’s vision for the planned capital development project, taking lead operational responsibility including scheduling and co-ordinating external contractors and Gate’s staff.
- Analyse and identify opportunities to increase revenue income as part of the capital project.
- Manage the development of the budget for the capital project.
- Work with the Director / CEO and Executive Producer to create a robust project team to manage the capital project.
Policies, Risk and Insurance:
- Take lead responsibility for the Gate’s policy and practice as regards Health and Safety, Licencing and Regulation, Child Protection, Data Protection and other compliance matters.
- Take responsibility for organisation-wide risk management and disaster recovery plans.
- Take responsibility for organisational insurance, regularly reviewing policies and negotiating appropriate cover.
- Work with the Director / CEO, Financial Controller and Executive Producer in setting the organisation’s annual budget as it relates to operations and staffing.
- Manage operational and staffing budgets and annual expenditure, ensuring accurate and efficient reporting and forecasting in consultation with the Financial Controller.
- Analysis of costs and saving opportunities of the Gate’s retail and box office operations.
- Ensure effective pricing strategy in bar / café, etc.
- Support the Director / CEO and Executive Producer in ensuring reports and information to be shared with the Chair and Board of Trustees are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure effective induction of new board members.
This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required of the General Manager not an exhaustive list of duties and the Director / CEO, Executive Producer may, at any time, allocate other tasks which are of a similar nature or level.
Essential Experience, Qualities and Skills
The post holder will have:
. 5 plus years’ experience in managing and leading a team of professionals
. Be a highly effective manager and leader
. Demonstrable track record in operational and facilities management and ideally in capital project delivery.
. Strong commercial acumen as well as strategic and financial budget planning and delivery.
. Be a senior manager in the arts, entertainment, creative industries or wider cultural sector with experience of maximizing commercial income for an organisation.
. Excellent communications and interpersonal skills and a can-do positive attitude.
. Experience of a capital redevelopment scheme whilst not essential is desirable.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Salary: up to €50k plus pension benefits commensurate with experience
Interested applicants should email their CV, Cover Letter and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form https://www.gatetheatre.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Gate-Theatre-Equal-Opportunities-Monitoring-Form.pdf to [email protected] by 18.00pm on 10th of January 2020