ABBEY THEATRE Amharclann na Mainistreach | Job Description
JOB TITLE: Technical Director
RESPONSIBLE TO: Directors
CONTRACT: Permanent/ 40-hour week
“To bring upon the stage the deeper emotions of Ireland”.
The Abbey Theatre is Ireland’s National Theatre, and a significant part of its role is to reflect our evolving cultural, political, and social identity. We do this through the creation, development and production of theatre that seeks to interrogate, challenge, gather and inspire a nation and its people, locally, nationally, and internationally. We’ve held this inimitable place in the Irish cultural landscape for over 116 years, since before the formation of the Irish state.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
To lead and deliver on all aspects of the technical and production disciplines at the Abbey Theatre. The successful candidate must show an intricate understanding and appreciation of all aspects of the craft of theatre making, in all its forms. They must have experience of leading teams and have illustrated a dynamic approach to making theatre.
The Technical Director will be a member of the Abbey Theatre’s Senior Management Team.
This role will be to lead and deliver on the relevant aims and objectives as set out in the Organisational 5 year strategy, which can be viewed here.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties include but are not limited to:
- To work closely with the Directors and Producers on scheduling, planning, and budgeting all productions as well as the theatres other activities.
- To ensure all technical and production departments comply with the Abbey Theatre’s policies, internal controls, and procedures.
- To ensure the theatre complies with the appropriate licensing and legislative requirements.
- To support the Abbey's mission of touring nationally and internationally.
- To lead on specific agreed projects across the organisation
- Any other duties that are deemed reasonable and appropriate by the Director(s).
Effective Teamwork and Communication
- To ensure the technical and production department responds flexibly and creatively to the artistic demands placed upon it, across all its work and that it is suitably resourced to do so.
- To form effective and creative working relationships with directors, designers, and other creative team members to achieve the full vision and potential of each production.
- To ensure excellent communication between the production and technical teams and all other departments, with particular emphasis on working closely with the producing, finance, and general management teams.
- To contribute to the development of the theatre's policies on equality, diversity, and environmental sustainability.
Leadership and Management
- To lead the production team strategically, operationally, and artistically, supporting the Abbey’s full programme of work.
- Provide dynamic leadership and a strategic overview for the team.
- To lead the technical and production department creatively, flexibly, and imaginatively and implement change positively, where appropriate.
- To lead, manage and motivate staff to achieve their best, both individually and collectively, within the framework of the performance management process.
- Represent your team and the organisation at relevant external and internal meetings and events as required.
- To demonstrate effective leadership as part of the Senior Management Team.
- Establish and maintain relationships with industry peers.
- Lead and chair regular team meetings.
- To ensure that there are appropriate systems in place for the budgeting and financial control of the production department’s operations.
- Work closely with the Financial Controller to budget for and estimate costs for all technical production requirements.
- Track costs, agree and manage in conjunction with the Directors.
- Following procurement guidelines /calculating and comparing costs for required goods or services to achieve maximum value for money.
- Manage production / technical day to day operations ensuring at all times cost effective solutions are being implemented.
Health & Safety
- To be directly responsible for the theatre’s Health and Safety remit related to the technical production of the theatre
- To ensure that effective risk management systems are implemented, and that the policy and its arrangements are fully understood by all employees.
- Work closely with the General Manager and other Abbey Theatre team members and consultants to create and maintain a safe working environment; develop records of risk assessment, safe systems of work and training for the department.
- To ensure the technical /production department are represented at the Health and Safety committee meeting.
- Responsibility for the safety of all plant equipment related to technical production
- Ensure that all statutory inspections of equipment are carried out, including compliance to the approved code of practice (ACOP) on Legionnaire’s disease.
- Oversee all statutory inspection and certification of Lifting and Safety Equipment is carried out working closely with the technical team.
- To implement the overall departmental plan regarding the Organisational 5-year Strategy, working with the Directors.
- To deliver on overall departmental goals and objectives/ KPI’s as set out, in the context of the Abbey’s overall mission, vision and goals.
Key Internal Relationships
- Senior Management Team
- Sales & Customer Service
- Technical & Production Departments
- Marketing & Communications
- Community & Education
- New Work
- Company Management
Key External Relationships
- Abbey Theatre stakeholders as appropriate
- Suppliers & contractors
The post holder will have:
- At least 7+ years in a production/technical management role with 5 of those years at senior management level.
- Proven knowledge and understanding across range technical disciplines at senior management level
- Experience of national and international touring.
- Demonstrable experience of working with international creative teams.
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of design and production.
- Experience with budgeting and scheduling.
- A working in-depth knowledge of Health and Safety to ensure its effective delivery.
- Excellent ability to lead and communicate with staff at all levels.
- A dynamic and committed approach to theatre with excellent creative solution skills.
- High level of computer literacy including using software packages such as AutoCAD and or Vector works, Excel and Word.
- The ability to help develop the potential of all technical staff.
- The ability to provide high level strategic planning
- The ability to work well under pressure.
RENUMERATION / BENEFITS
Annual Salary: Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Holidays: 24 days per annum (including Good Friday & Christmas Eve).
Public Holidays: 10 Public holidays per annum.
Pension: The Abbey Theatre provides employees with access to a pension scheme and will match contributions up to 5.5% of salary. Employees must contribute a minimum of 3% to avail of employer contributions. Contributions are made through payroll.
Life Assurance: The Abbey Theatre Group Life Assurance plan provides a benefit to all employees of 4 times annual salary in the event of death while in service.
Bike to work/ Bus Eireann/Luas/ Dart Tax Saver
Employee Assistance Programme: Confidential service for all employees and their family.
Staff Complimentary Tickets: 1 or 2 complimentary tickets for each show at the Abbey / staff discount for friends and family
To apply, please send the below information:
- Up to date CV
- Cover letter
(Outlining why you want this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute)
The closing date for applications is 12 pm on Friday, 12th August 2022.
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer